Friday, 2 October 2009

Elvis Presley At The Movies: The Soundtracks & The Posters



Elvis famously made a long succession of movies, with each of them having progressively worse soundtracks - or did they? I've challenged myself to find at least two half-decent songs from every movie (with the exception of 'Charro!' which only featured the title track over the credits), & I discovered quite a few hidden gems. This post has also given me the opportunity to feature photos of the many wonderful posters used to promote the movies at the time (click on images to enlarge!)...



Love Me Tender (1956)

Best songs: Love Me Tender, Poor Boy



Loving You (1957)

Best songs: Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do, Party, Lonesome Cowboy, Mean Woman Blues, Loving You.



Jailhouse Rock (1957)

Best songs: Young And Beautiful, I Want To Be Free, Treat Me Nice, Jailhouse Rock, (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care.



King Creole (1958)

Best songs: Crawfish, Trouble, Dixieland Rock, New Orleans, King Creole, Don't Ask Me Why



G.I. Blues (1960)

Best songs: What's She Really Like, G.I. Blues, Frankfort Special, Shoppin' Around, Tonight Is So Right For Love, Wooden Heart, Pocketful Of Rainbows



Flaming Star (1960)

Best songs: Flaming Star, A Cane And A High Starched Collar



Wild In The Country (1961)

Best songs: Wild In The Country, I Slipped I Stumbled I Fell



Blue Hawaii (1961)

Best songs: Blue Hawaii, No More, Can't Help Falling In Love, Rock-A-Hula Baby, Hawaiian Wedding Song



Follow That Dream (1962)

Best songs: What A Wonderful Life, Follow That Dream, Angel



Kid Galahad (1962)

Best songs: King Of The Whole Wide World, Riding The Rainbow, I Got Lucky



Girls! Girls! Girls! (1962)

Best songs: Girls! Girls! Girls!, I Don't Wanna Be Tied, Return To Sender



It Happened At The World's Fair (1962)

Best songs: Beyond The Bend, One Broken Heart For Sale



Fun In Acapulco (1963)

Best songs: I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here, Bossa Nova Baby, You Can't Say No In Acapulco



Kissin' Cousins (1964)

Best songs: Catchin' On Fast , Once Is Enough, Kissin' Cousins (2)



Viva Las Vegas (1964)

Best songs: Viva Las Vegas, C'mon Everybody, What'd I Say



Roustabout (1964)

Best songs: Roustabout, Wheels On My Heels, Little Egypt



Girl Happy (1965)

Best songs: Girl Happy, Puppet On A String



Tickle Me (1965)

Best songs: Long Lonely Highway, It Feels So Right, Dirty Dirty Feeling, Slowly But Surely



Harum Scarum (1965)

Best songs: Harem Holiday, Shake That Tambourine, Hey Little Girl



Frankie And Johnny (1966)

Best songs: What Every Woman Lives For, Frankie And Johnny, Hard Luck



Paradise, Hawaiian Style (1966)

Best songs: Paradise Hawaiian Style, Scratch My Back (Then I'll Scratch Yours), A Dog's Life



Spinout (1966)

Best songs: Stop Look And Listen, I'll Be Back



Easy Come, Easy Go (1967)

Best songs: Easy Come Easy Go, Sing You Children



Double Trouble (1967)

Best songs: Long Legged Girl (With The Short Dress On), City By Night



Clambake (1967)

Best songs: Clambake, You Don't Know Me, How Can You Lose What You Never Had



Stay Away, Joe (1968)

Best songs: Stay Away, All I Needed Was The Rain



Speedway (1968)

Best songs: Let Yourself Go, Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby



Live A Little, Love A Little (1968)

Best songs: Edge Of Reality, A Little Less Conversation



Charro! (1968)

Best song: Charro



The Trouble With Girls (1969)

Best songs: Swing Down Sweet Chariot, Clean Up Your Own Backyard



Change Of Habit (1969)

Best songs: Change Of Habit, Rubberneckin'



Elvis: That's The Way It Is (1970)

Best songs: Mystery Train / Tiger Man, Patch It Up, Little Sister / Get Back, Polk Salad Annie



Elvis On Tour (1972)

Best songs: Seperate Ways, Never Been To Spain, I Got A Woman / Amen, Memories

3 comments:

  1. Well done Peter.....
    Nice collection of posters too.
    It would be great to have a full set of originals!
    Cheers from down under in OZ.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...they're worth a LOT of money Chris! I particularly love the 'King Creole' poster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must have been quite a work to listen every Elvis movie soundtrack... I've been big Elvis fan for over 20 years, but I still have seen only about 10-15 of his 33 movies. About half a year ago I bought a DVD of 'Easy Come Easy Go', but I've yet watched about 15 minutes of it, it's so dead boring. But there's also some very good movies, like 'King Creole' and 'Flaming Star' and some of Elvis's mid-sixties have quite good soundtrack music, like 'Harum Scarum', 'Spinout' and 'Double Trouble'.

    ReplyDelete